Useful Herbs/Plants in the Treatment of Dry skin
1. Aloe vera (Aloe vera)
Aloe vera replenishes the skin by providing the nutrients it lacks. Its extracts are used for massaging the skin.
2. Apple (Malus domestica)
Apple contains potassium and tannin which are both necessary to maintain the healthy texture of the skin. Apple not only removes the dryness of the skin, but also makes it appear shinier.
3. Cucumber (Cucumis sativus)
Cucumber is beneficial if the dryness is especially over the face. The juices of the cucumber have a cooling effect on the face. Also the juices provide the lost water content to the face and reduce its dryness.
Dietary Tips in General
1. Water is the most important part of the diet for correcting dry skin. About 7 to 8 glasses of water must be consumed in a day. But the water should be at room temperature. Cold water will aggravate the vatafurther.
2. Avoid alcohol and caffeine-containing beverages since they can make the skin drier.
1. In order to reduce the dryness of the skin, massage therapy must be used. Any herbal oil will do for the massage. Almond, avocado and olive oils are the best. The whole skin must be massaged and fingers must be used to dig deeper so as to pass the oil into the skin. After the massage, you must wait for about half an hour (keep the massaged skin exposed to the air if possible) and then go for a bath. The period helps the oil to permeate into the skin.
2. If the dryness is on the face, then make a paste of about a teaspoonful of rose water and two of honey. Smear this paste nicely on the face. Let it remain for a couple of minutes and then wash it off with slightly warm water.
3. Mayonnaise gives good results when applied on the dry skin and let be for some time.
4. An apple can be used for treating excessive dryness of the skin. Cut an apple in half and run its fleshy part on the skin. Apply a bit of pressure and squeeze the apple onto the skin to let its juices flow in.
5. Do not use tap water for washing the face. Tap water contains chloride ions which may harm the dry skin. Use mineral water instead. In a similar manner, do not use an ordinary soap on the skin. There are soaps available with moisturizers. Use them when having your bath.
Maintain a proper daily regimen. Try to get up at a fixed time each morning and go to bed at a fixed time. The adage ‘Early to bed and early to rise makes a person healthy, wealth and wise’ is very true in the case of dry skin.
Regular exercise is also important. Exercise makes the blood circulate better, due to which the nutrients are transported to all parts of the body. This will make the skin moister.
If you are not that into making your own “at-home” remedy, schedule a relaxing facial at moko. Choose from the Kalyani Rice facial, Organic Bliss Hydrating facial or let our skincare experts create a custom facial treatment to meet your needs.